Company: New Leaf Community Markets, Inc.
Location: Happy Valley
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Position Title: Cook
Department: Prepared Foods
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising
Reports To: Prepared Foods Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Prepares food in a high-volume production
environment. Provides exceptional customer service and contributes
to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting
tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts
priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and
conditions of department.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as
cooperatively within a team.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds
to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Understands and follows through on verbal and written
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to
success of store and company.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with
company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
- Observes all company rules and policies.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product
information and assists in locating product throughout the store.
Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the
- Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult
customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the
Position Specific Functions
- Prepares kitchen for store opening and closing.
- Prepares food for all Prepared Foods stations and cases.
Follows company provided recipes and specifications in order to
ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Works with attention to labeling, dating, storage, expiration
dates and food quality.
- Works saut line, grill, pizza oven and other cook to order
- Stocks and maintains Prepared Foods cases and stations.
- Processes customers' made-to-order items accurately and
- Checks and follows daily prep list. Communicates with
management team to determine production priorities.
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product
knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions
based on customer needs.
- Completes customer special orders thoroughly and provides
follow-through as needed.
- Stocks, rotates and faces products with attention to product
quality and expiration dates.
- Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and
condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas,
products and supplies.
- Maintains accurate pricing and signage that meet merchandising
- Understands and complies with specific shift guidelines, tasks
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and
- Demonstrates understanding of culinary terminology, equipment,
techniques, units of weight, measurement and volume, and skills to
make accurate conversions for large scale production.
- Notifies department manager or Manager On Duty of any
situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity,
security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Handler's card
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the
company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation
standards established by store policy and state and local health
departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and
equipment: blast chiller, robot coupe, blender, slicer, mixer,
kitchen smallwares, kettle, pallet jack, knife, range, thermometer,
dishwasher, scale, oven, grill, hand truck, cart, baler, computer,
and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA
Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we
will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and
employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in
food and cooking.
- Previous food service, restaurant or catering experience
required. Experience in a high volume environment preferred.
- Retail or grocery experience preferred.
- Solid knife skills required. Previous food preparation or
production experience preferred.
- Familiarity with culinary terminology and techniques and
industry standard equipment preferred.
- Basic math and computation skills required.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and
multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and
professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers,
supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs
of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to
company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and
walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms,
hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing; reach at/above shoulder;
reach below shoulder
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds;
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; push
and/or pull 1-40 pounds; crouch/squat
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes
surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and
temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler,
freezer, and kitchen.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and
other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house
plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common
commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving
parts; may include vibration.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements
and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed
in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff
member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on
location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job
description at any time and to require staff members to perform
other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.
Keywords: New Leaf Community Markets, Inc., Gresham , Cook, Other , Happy Valley, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!