Orthodontic Dental Assistant
Posted on: March 17, 2023
To provide direct patient care to orthodontic patients within a
Kaiser Permanente dental office.
- Instruct the patient in proper technique of orthodontic oral
hygiene, e.g. the use of elastics, separators, face bow and
removable appliances and proper tooth brushing technique.
- Perform the following functions provided the dentist is on the
premises and checks the patient before and after the functions are
performed: Remove cement from bands using an ultrasonic or hand
scaler. Re-cement loose orthodontic bands Take impressions for the
following purposes: Diagnostic models; Counter and opposing models;
Fabrication of temporary removable orthodontic appliances;
Intraoral bite registration for study model articulation. Remove
any portion of an orthodontic appliance causing a patient
discomfort and replace isomeric ligatures in an emergency when the
dentist is not on the premises. Evaluate each returning patient for
loose or broken bands and/or unbonded brackets.
- Place and remove ligature ties for adjustment of arch wires
and/or bands. Place and remove arch wires. Preliminarily select and
size bands. Place and remove interarch elastics and/or spring
orthodontic separators. Place bracket on study model and fabricate
tray for indirect bonding procedures.
- Photograph patient for intraoral and extraoral diagnosis
utilizing appropriate retraction technique and equipment. Label and
record all models, photographs and x-rays for presentation of case
and later retention. Properly finish study models consistent with
the criteria established by the orthodontist.
- As instructed, trace cephalometric x-rays for diagnostic
purposes consistent with criteria established by the
- The individual must meet the requirements:
- Complete a dental assisting program accredited by the
Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental
- Complete a course of instruction in Orthodontic assisting
approved by the Board and pass the Basic and Expanded Function
Orthodontic Examination administered by the Dental Assisting
National Board, Inc. (DANB).
License, Certification, Registration
- Dental Radiation Proficiency Certificate (Oregon) required at
- Expanded Function Orthodontic Dental Assistant Certificate
(Oregon) within 6 months of hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- The individual applicant for this position must demonstrate, to
the satisfaction of the individual performing the selection
interview, the following qualifications if he/she is to be
selected. Furthermore, consistent with the fact that these
qualifications are required for selection, they then must be
satisfactorily maintained by the individual as a condition of
- Demonstrated competence in four-handed dentistry
- Satisfactory level of knowledge and proficiency in the use of
current dental materials, instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and work
effectively under both direct and indirect supervision.
- Well organized and manages time well.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a fast paced, high performance
- Excellent attendance record.
- Final candidate is required to pass a clinical pre-employment
- Prefer no less than one (1) year of experience as a dental
- Prefer experience as an orthodontic assistant but willing to
- Basic knowledge of sterilization and infection control
- Days/Times vary.
- Travel Glisan, Gresham, Rockwood, Johnson Creek, Clackamas,
Eastmoreland, Oregon City dental.
Job Category: Dental Support
Keywords: Kaiser, Gresham , Orthodontic Dental Assistant, Healthcare , Gresham, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...