Phlebotomist - Replacement Pool- Interstate Campus
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Support the laboratory function of providing diagnostic
information for use in patient care by ensuring proper collection
and processing of laboratory specimens. Perform or assist with
special procedures; mentor/orient students and new employees;
ensure workflow meets service delivery needs. Respond effectively
to member, clinicians, nursing staff and other department
- Perform order entry, specimen collection and processing
according to Work Instructions (WI), clarify clinician orders;
obtain pertinent patient information; accurately identify patients;
determine specimen requirements and collect patient sample using
appropriate process of venipuncture or capillary collection based
on patient age and/or condition. Assure completeness and accuracy
of specimen labeling. Obtain and enter appropriate patient or
specimen information into laboratory computer system. Provide good
customer service to all members.
- Prioritize workload according to urgency of request; coordinate
activities of the Phlebotomy and Laboratory Service/Technical
Assistant workgroups to meet operational service needs. Act as
resource for medical or laboratory staff. Provide information and
facilitate specimen or order problem investigation and resolution.
Using appropriate resources, make decisions as required for sample
collection and patient processing. Facilitate communication between
Phlebotomists and Laboratory Service/Technical Assistants in
problem solving and member assistance, triaging to supervisor as
- Provide instructions to physicians, nursing staff and patients
in proper specimen collection, answering related questions
accurately. Evaluate, process and coordinate specimens for testing
and/or shipping by following applicable WI. Centrifuge, aliquot,
separate, refrigerate, freeze or handle specimens as required to
maintain specimen integrity. Consult computer information for
special handling instructions, referring questions to Client
Services or technical specialist(s) for additional handling or
shipping instructions when indicated. Complete appropriate forms as
- Use laboratory computer system to obtain patient demographics,
perform order entry, enter pertinent clinical information, generate
barcode labels and ensure tracking of each test ordered and each
specimen collected and/or received. Print reports. Use laboratory
information computer system to track specimens. Perform all duties
required of Laboratory Service/Technical Assistant.
- Assist clinician or Pathologists with bone marrow collection
and processing. Perform isolation procedures, bacterial, acid-fast
and fungal blood cultures, blood smear preparation, microbiology
set-up and Code 99 (Code Blue) response as required and ordered by
- Remain current in new and revised work instructions and lab and
organizational policies. Periodically review procedure manuals,
Quality System documents and organizational policies. Assist
supervisor, coordinator or specialist in identifying and reporting
any procedural discrepancies. Complete annual requirements (PPD,
safety etc.). Provide input into development or revision of
procedures to meet operational needs. Attend and participate in
staff meetings. Support department workflow and records maintenance
through accurate workload recording, quality assurance monitors,
supply inventory, quality control checks and records.Basic
- Completion of an Accredited Phlebotomy Program which includes
successful completion of an experience practicum OR Minimum
eighteen (18) months of phlebotomy experience within the previous
five (5) years in a multi-patient clinical laboratory.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
required. -License, Certification, Registration
- N/A -Additional Requirements:
- Demonstrated customer-focused service skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of basic phlebotomy principles and
- Detail oriented, able to handle multiple tasks in a limited
- Able to produce high quantity/quality of work, problem solve,
exercise good judgment.
- Able to bend, stoop, reach and lift minimum of 10 pounds.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills with
command of the English language.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, teamwork.
- Working knowledge of keyboard/data entry. -Preferred
- Minimum four (4) years phlebotomy experience in a multi-patient
laboratory setting including geriatric, pediatrics, inpatient
and/or difficult phlebotomy draws.
- National Phlebotomy certification.
- Thorough understanding of phlebotomy principles and techniques
and phlebotomy equipment.
- Thorough understanding of sample collection requirements.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal skills, teamwork,
- Leadership skills.Notes:
- Replacement Pool phlebotomist supporting the Interstate Campus
(Central, South and East Buildings).Job Schedule: Job Category:
Keywords: Kaiser, Gresham , Phlebotomist - Replacement Pool- Interstate Campus, Healthcare , Gresham, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!